A beautiful smile is aesthetically pleasing and signifies oral health and overall well-being. However, dental issues such as tooth decay, damage, or missing teeth can affect your smile's appearance and functionality. Fortunately, dental solutions like crowns and bridges are effective ways to restore your smile and regain dental function.
Crowns and bridges are invaluable solutions in restorative dentistry, allowing individuals to regain the functionality and aesthetics of their smiles. Whether you require a crown to protect a damaged tooth or a bridge to replace missing teeth, consulting with our dentist at Burien Family Dental Care is essential. They will assess your dental needs, guide you through the treatment process, and help you achieve a healthy and beautiful smile.
A dental crown is a custom-made dental restoration that covers and encases a damaged, decayed, or weakened tooth. It is designed to restore the tooth's shape, size, strength, and appearance while providing protection and support.
Dental crowns are typically made from various materials such as porcelain, ceramic, metal alloys, or a combination of materials. The purpose of a dental crown is to enhance the functionality and aesthetics of a tooth that has suffered significant damage or decay.
Reasons for Crowns
- When a tooth has significant decay that cannot be addressed with a filling alone, a crown is placed to strengthen and protect it.
- Teeth that are fractured, cracked, or severely damaged can be restored with a crown, preventing further deterioration.
- Crowns can improve the appearance of misshapen, discolored, or poorly aligned teeth, enhancing the smile's aesthetics.
- Following root canal therapy, a crown is often placed to strengthen the treated tooth, as it may become more fragile.
- Crowns support dental bridges, anchoring the artificial teeth in place.
A dental bridge is a dental prosthesis used to replace one or more missing teeth by bridging the gap created by the missing teeth. It consists of artificial teeth called pontics anchored in place by dental crowns or dental implants on either side of the gap. A dental bridge is designed to restore both the function and appearance of a patient's smile.
Reasons for Bridges
- Bridges are effective when one or more teeth are missing, providing a stable and functional replacement.
- By filling the gap left by missing teeth, bridges help maintain the proper alignment of neighboring teeth, preventing issues such as shifting or misalignment.
- Bridges allow for proper chewing and bite distribution, enabling individuals to enjoy various foods.
- Bridges enhance the appearance of the smile, improving confidence and self-esteem.
Crowns and bridges improve the appearance of damaged or missing teeth, enhancing the smile's beauty. With proper care, crowns and bridges can last many years, providing long-term benefits. To determine the most suitable option for your dental needs, contact Burien Family Dental Care at 112 SW 160th Burien, WA 98166, or call (206) 244-6774.