How can you restore your beauty smile with dental crowns?
Posted by Dr. Lee Aug 16, 2016
It is a proven fact that a beautiful and healthy smile can boost your self-esteem and improve your quality of life. In fact 50% of Americans believe so, and yet 50% of them do not visit a dentist on a regular basis. The reasons for that could vary from fear of going to the dentist to costs of the dental procedures or difficulty to get an appointment. No matter what the reason, however, avoiding dental visit, especially when you have symptoms for doing so, can only result in worsening the condition of your teeth. If you have a severely decayed tooth or a cracked tooth, your dental solution might be a dental crown.
What is a dental crown?
A dental crown is a type of dental restoration, in the form of a cap that is placed over a tooth or a dental implant. Dental crowns are used to cover teeth in order to restore their shape and size, strengthen them or improve their appearance.
Types of dental crowns
There are several types of crowns, depending on the material they are made of. The most popular types of dental crowns in modern dentistry are:
- Full Porcelain Crowns – Natural-looking crowns made of zirconium or aluminum-oxide. These types of crowns are often recommended for front teeth because of aesthetic reasons.
- Porcelain-Fused-to-Metal Crowns – Also known as “full cast” crowns, these are made with metal alloys and porcelain is fused to the surface to create a natural-looking appearance. These crowns typically require a large part of the tooth structure to be removed but can be used to cap front and back teeth.
- All-Metal Crowns – Made entirely out of alloys such as a gold alloy. These dental crowns tend to last the longest, but because of aesthetic reasons are usually used to cap back teeth.
- One-Visit Crowns – An attractive, fast option for many patients who want restoration without any waiting period. Same day crowns are one of the latest innovations in modern dentistry and allows dentists to place a crown in a single visit. Dr. Lee also offers this convenient treatment in his office in Burien, WA.
Am I a candidate for a dental crown?
You might be a candidate for a dental crown if you have:
- A cracked tooth
- A severely decayed tooth
- Badly discolored teeth
- Weak or soft teeth that can’t accommodate a filling
- Misshapen teeth
- A tooth that has had a root canal treatment
- Teeth that require a bridge
How can I benefit from Dental Crowns?
The most important advantages of dental crowns include:
- Protection against tooth decay
- Dental crowns can be used for attaching bridges
- Long lasting solutions with great durability
- Better self-confidence and an appealing smile
If you would like to know whether dental crowns are the right solution for you, you should contact a proven dental professional, like Dr. Lee from Burien Family Dental Care. Dr. Lee will offer you a thorough examination and help you chose the best solution for your needs.